Available Here At Premier Kia of Carlsbad
Alternator and Starter Service at Premier Kia of Carlsbad
Each time you get into your car, you rely on your vehicle’s starter. The starter uses power from the battery to spin the flywheel and give your engine the jumpstart it needs. The alternator then gives the battery its power by recharging the system. When the main components in the starter begin to wear down, you will notice that your vehicle may crank weakly when started. If that continues, your engine could eventually fail to activate altogether. That’s why our service department at Premier Kia of Carlsbad, near Chula Vista and Temecula, is here to make sure that doesn’t happen.
While both that starter and alternator work together in your car’s electrical system, the alternator generates most of the electricity in your car. It changes mechanical energy into electrical energy and then sends power to the essential parts of your vehicle such as the headlights, ignition coils, engine fans, and different parts of the fuel injection system. The alternator powers non-essential parts as well, like the air conditioning and radio. The starter does the opposite of the alternator by changing electrical energy into mechanical energy. The starter then uses the electricity from the battery to turn the crankshaft.
Signs of a Bad Altenator
If your vehicle’s electrical system is giving you trouble, it may be time to check your car’s alternator. There are several warning signs you can look out for when it comes to a bad or broken alternator.
- Weak or Dimming Lights - A problem with the alternator is more likely if the lights brighten with increased RPM
- Strange Noises - The alternators belt or pulley may cause a squealing sound or internal bearings could cause a grinding noise
- Burning Smell - A smell could indicate a problem with the belt or pulley
- A New Battery That Cannot Hold a Charge - If you always have a dead battery, the alternator could be failing to recharge the battery
You can rely on our professional service department for starter and alternator services as well as battery services. We follow all manufacturer’s recommendations for your model Kia to ensure it stays dependable mile after mile for you.
Issues with the Starter System
Wondering why your car won’t start? Without a properly functioning starter relay and motor, your vehicle won’t be able to start and you may need professional services. Several common signs of a bad starter include:
- Engine Won’t Turn Over - Especially if you hear a loud click, and your battery is healthy
- Warning Lights - Dash lights come on when your car starts but the engine does not crank
- Cranking Slow - If your engine cranks over very slowly
- Smoke - A ton of smoke when the vehicle is turned on
If nothing you do gets your engine started, not even a jump start, then you may have an issue with your car’s starter. If this is the case, don’t wait to schedule an appointment with our trusted service department at Premier Kia of Carlsbad. We look forward to serving all your regular alternator and starter service needs!